Sunday, November 14, 2004

The real story

I ask my father why he registered for the draft. He doesn't give me a good answer. He looks me in the eye, but not for long. I believe him anyway, I believe everything he says.

"Most of my friend's were going to school and getting their college deferments. But I chose to work and do what I wanted to do," he says this and gives a small shrug.

I hear myself on the videotape saying, "Right, uh-huh." every so often, too often. I see the edge of my hand flutter past the screen, hear myself cushion every word, providing answers with my questions: "So did you think you'd be drafted - or were you just 18 and not really thinking about it?"

My friend Cori asks if he will tell me the whole story, if he will leave anything out. "No," I answer without hesitation. "I know he will tell me the truth." And he will, I believe he will. The question she didn't ask is this: Do I have the guts to ask the right questions? Am I willing to travel that far? Am I ready to become a believer?

It's been a month since our first interview. Since I first said the word Vietnam. The questions I asked stopped at the San Francisco airport. They stopped in California, miles and miles before he went to that other place. If I let this go, my father would never bring it up again. He would tell me tasteless jokes and help me remodel my house. He would confide in me like a friend, watch my dog whenever I go out of town. I see his old young face and I know I have to do this.

I'm looking to the sky for direction now, questions that don't have right answers. I want to cover my eyes, crawl under the table. But I know only a fucking wimp would do that. My father wears all weather boots now. They cradle his soft dark brown feet. They are ageless, wrinklefree, yet he hikes more than anyone I know. I'm thinking of investing in some expensive Rockports this winter. Really go all out. Sky's the limit, you know?

3 Comments:

Blogger Cori said...

Shoes! Shoes! Shoes!
I love the shoes.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Charr Crail said...

Wow. Courage is everything... asking the right question is the hardest part, the part that takes the most courage. You are one of the strongest, wisest, most fearless women I know. Your dad helped bring you up that way. He will admire your courage to ask the hard questions. Tip of the iceberg, but it's only ice and it melts in warm hands.

12:58 PM  
Blogger the color of me said...

I love the bad-ass Rockports.

2:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home