Thursday, November 04, 2004

Bedtime stories

Daddy, will you tell me a story? Will you tell me a story about warriors brave and fair-haired princesses in far off towers? Will you tell me a love story? A story of a boy and a girl and happily ever after? Daddy, will you tell me a mystery story? A murder mystery maybe? A tale set in the jungle, a fairytale with lions and tigers and bears. Daddy, will you tell me a story about you when you were a little boy? Daddy, will you tell me a story about me?

I asked him if he would talk to me. My dad and I talk a lot. We talk about cars, family - we tell jokes.

I pinched the sides of my calves, held my breath and I asked him to tell me about Vietnam. Now he slowly looks into a video camera before me and begins to tell me a story. I ask lots of small questions, take it slow. No need to get to the action scenes too quickly. He smiles his daddy smile and begins, "Once upon a time...", I hold my breath.

3 Comments:

Blogger Charr Crail said...

my heart skipped a beat and I caught my breath as I saw his daddy smile in my minds eye...

4:12 PM  
Blogger Cori said...

beautiful.

7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your rockin on Sac Top 25..... everyone who's reading this should go and click her link!

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home