Sunday, November 07, 2004

First draft

A couple of weeks ago my friend Chelsea and I met at the Claremont, a grand old hotel in the Berkeley hills, close to our roots with a view. She lives in Texas now, but we grew up together and a bagel shop I frequent has a coffee named after her, aptly described as sweet and nutty. She's a very political creature, a die-hard Democrat, this is one of the mysteries of our friendship, since at 31 I have never voted and consider it charming that I obstain from all forms of the news.

During this visit the presidential campaign comes up. I'm not sure how, but I know I'm not to blame. I mention stem-cell research, only because of my father and she tells me something that I still have yet to shake: "Well that's your vote this year then, you have to vote for your dad."

So less than a week before the legal deadline I mail in my official voter registration. I am now a registered voter. And while I know nothing of candidates or issues, I know my father needs medical help that doesn't yet exist.

In 1965, three months after he finished high school, my father turned 18 years old. He moved to Texas, for a girl he tells me shyly, slyly now. Anne Richmond, a debutante. Her father had a lot of money and connections. When my father was 16 he met Marlon Brando, a buddy of the old man, and rode motorcycles with him. "So I registered," he tells me now, "because it was the law."

The law , like he cared. "They were catching up with people and pushing you ahead in the line if you weren't registered," he explains. I pause with this answer. My father could hotwire a car at 13 years old, the law was not a concern. He watches me take this in. His eyes are hazel, layered green and gold. Mine are brown, dark to nearly black. I ask him if he thought there was a chance he would be drafted.

He fills his cheeks with air and looks up for an answer. Tips his chin down and exhales with a small laugh. "No," he says. "I just figured if it happened I would figure something out. Maybe something would happen with the war. Maybe I would go to school and get a deferment. Maybe this, maybe that, but none of that really happened."

He takes a long drink of his water, and I watch it quietly slosh in his tremulous hands. None of that really happened, he says.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cori said...

It's amazing how our lives are so tied in the lives of others... "Of Course they are," but when those little details are pointed out.... it's so amazing. I like how you describe apathy -in the most emotional way.... wow. Heavy.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Catez said...

This is very interesting. I wonder sometimes what the impact of the Iraq war is in the soldiers there - and the Iraqis too. Everything is reported so abstractly and yet the personal cost to each person is incalculable. Thanks for your writing here.

2:12 AM  
Blogger Rocky Mountain Red said...

Great Entry.

I will be back to read some more.

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home